Дополнительные задания. 10 класс
Ways of getting information.
1. There are several different ways of getting new information.
2. Mass media is the main source of information for millions of people.
3. Nowadays mass media includes newspapers and magazines, advertising and radio, TV and the Internet.
5. Every kind of mass media has its advantages and disadvantages.
6. People choose their favourite one.
7. Some years ago newspapers and magazines were the most popular ones.
8. People used to read them everywhere: on a park bench, in a bus or train and in a comfortable armchair at home.
9. They are still popular with some people.
10. Any newspaper can contain current news, detailed articles about home and international events, reviews of new books, plays, TV shows, letters of readers to the editor, articles on social issues and the pages devoted to literature and the arts.
11. Some families subscribe to newspapers, others buy them at newsagents.
12. Unlike newspapers, magazines don’t focus on fast changing daily events.
13. They deliver information on a variety of topics: science, business, hobbies, religion, medicine, sports, and culture.
14. There are specialized magazines for specific professional, business and industrial groups, and consumer magazines for general audience.
15. Some people prefer listening to the radio.
16. It’s convenient to get the recent news listening to the radio in a car, or in the open air, or when you do something about the house.
17. Listeners can tune into all kinds of stations: pop or classical music, news, sport or foreign radio stations.
18. People can often call in and ask questions about everything from cooking or car repair to politics or health.
19. With the invention of television it took the important role in people’s lives.
20. It’s a great source of information.
21. Television gives you an opportunity to travel all over the world, see different people and learn about their customs and traditions.
22. Television keeps you informed about the rest of the world.
23. There are always a great variety of programmes on TV: current affairs programmes and documentaries, plays and feature films, talk shows and TV games.
24. Besides, TV has the power to educate and broaden our minds.
25. The Internet has recently become another important source of information. All the latest information is available to you in your home, at any hour of the day and night.
26. A person can choose information from different web sites, compare it and form his own opinion.
27. Personally I, …../As for me…because I find it …..
Answer the questions. Give practical advice to protect the environment
Use: It’s a good idea to…
Why don’t people…
- What should people do with fruit and vegetable peelings?
- What should people do with broken things?
- What should people do with old clothes?
- What should people do with empty jars and bottles?
- Hоw can people save energy?
- What good advice can you give to shoppers?
- How can people save on packaging?
- How can people save on paper?
Vocabulary. Environmental protection (слова к 04.12. 2014)
- eliminate waste – ликвидировать отходы
- protect the environment – защищать окр. среду
- release into the environment – выбрасывать/ выпускать в окр. среду
- harm the environment- вредить окр. среде
- throw rubbish away – выбрасывать мусор
- a compost heap- навозная куча
- fertilizer- удобрение
- repair broken things – ремонтировать сломанные вещи
- store things in jars and bottles – хранить вещи в банках и бутылках
- save energy – сохранять энергию
- reusable things – вещи многоразового использования
- amount of – количество ч-л
- energy consumption- потребление энергии
- excessive packaging- чрезмерная упаковка
- fruit/vegetable peelings- фруктовые/ овощные очистки
A shortage of money is one of teenagers’ problems. There is an opinion that teens can solve it getting a part-time job.
What is your opinion? Is it a good idea if teenagers have a part-time job?
Look at the list of points below and divide them into pros and cons
Pros and Cons
a) It is difficult to find a part-time job.
b) Teens can be independent of their parents.
c) It can be very tiring.
d) Teens are paid too little.
e) It is a great experience.
f) Teens can become more confident.
Match the relevant points above to the justifications below, then make sentence using appropriate linking words/phrases.
- … high school students are very busy at school and they have to do much homework.
- … it can be easier for them to meet people.
- … most companies want to employ workers with high qualifications.
- … they can not cover their expenses.
- … they can pay for extra clothes, tapes, books and other necessary things themselves.
6. … that can help them in their future lives.