Дополнительные задания. 11 класс
Ways of getting information.
1. There are several different ways of getting new information.
2. Mass media is the main source of information for millions of people.
3. Nowadays mass media includes newspapers and magazines, advertising and radio, TV and the Internet.
5. Every kind of mass media has its advantages and disadvantages.
6. People choose their favourite one.
7. Some years ago newspapers and magazines were the most popular ones.
8. People used to read them everywhere: on a park bench, in a bus or train and in a comfortable armchair at home.
9. They are still popular with some people.
10. Any newspaper can contain current news, detailed articles about home and international events, reviews of new books, plays, TV shows, letters of readers to the editor, articles on social issues and the pages devoted to literature and the arts.
11. Some families subscribe to newspapers, others buy them at newsagents.
12. Unlike newspapers, magazines don’t focus on fast changing daily events.
13. They deliver information on a variety of topics: science, business, hobbies, religion, medicine, sports, and culture.
14. There are specialized magazines for specific professional, business and industrial groups, and consumer magazines for general audience.
15. Some people prefer listening to the radio.
16. It’s convenient to get the recent news listening to the radio in a car, or in the open air, or when you do something about the house.
17. Listeners can tune into all kinds of stations: pop or classical music, news, sport or foreign radio stations.
18. People can often call in and ask questions about everything from cooking or car repair to politics or health.
19. With the invention of television it took the important role in people’s lives.
20. It’s a great source of information.
21. Television gives you an opportunity to travel all over the world, see different people and learn about their customs and traditions.
22. Television keeps you informed about the rest of the world.
23. There are always a great variety of programmes on TV: current affairs programmes and documentaries, plays and feature films, talk shows and TV games.
24. Besides, TV has the power to educate and broaden our minds.
25. The Internet has recently become another important source of information. All the latest information is available to you in your home, at any hour of the day and night.
26. A person can choose information from different web sites, compare it and form his own opinion.
27. Personally I, …../As for me…because I find it …..
- check-in desk –столрегистрации
- baggage reclaim – выдача багажа
- departure board- доска информации о вылете, табло
- departures lounge/gate- зал отлета, выход на посадку
- duty-free shop- магазин беспошлинной торговли
- conveyer belt – ленточный транспортер багажа
- passport control- паспортный контроль в аэропорту
- jet lag (усталость от долгого перелета)
- aisle seat (место у прохода)
- short stopover (короткая остановка в пути)
- hand luggage (ручная кладь/багаж)
- take-off slot (время на посадку)
- air traffic control (диспетчерская служба воздушного транспорта)
- boarding pass (посадочный билет/талон)
- poor visibility(плохая видимость)
- cabin crew (экипаж самолета, бортпроводники)
- delayed flight ( отложить рейс)
06. 09.2014 Comparisons.doc
15. 01.2015- Module 5a
1) foster home - приёмная семья; семейный приют
2) B@B– номер в гостинице (кровать +завтрак)
3) sleeping bag- спальный мешок
4) abandoned house - заброшенный дом
5) disused warehouse - вышедший из употребления; неприменяемый склад
6) share a cramped room – делить тесную комнату
7) drug addict - наркоман
8) filthy room -запачканная, немытая комната
9) running water -водопровод
10) fixed address - постоянное место жительства
11) well-litstreets- хорошо-освещенные улицы
12) make ends meet- сводить концы с концами
13) posh house- шикарный дом
14) lose dignity- потерять достоинство
15) vicious circle - порочный круг, заколдованный круг
16) self-esteem- самоуважение; чувство собственного достоинства
17) waiting list– очередь; лист ожидания
18) soup kitchen - бесплатная столовая (где выдаётся суп беднякам и безработным)
Many important people work in the medical profession – ambulance drivers take us safely to
the hospital; nurses look after us and make us feel comfortable during our stay. However,
undoubtedly, doctors and surgeons have the most important jobs of all. They make
important decisions – chose the best treatment and medicines for us – and ultimately (в конце концов), save lives.
There are many advantages of working in such a profession: you get a great sense of
satisfaction working with the public. There are also good career prospects and the salary is
However, there are also many disadvantages, such as having to work long and unsociable
hours. It is also a highly stressful job as it comes with great responsibility.
Personally, I admire people who go into the medical profession. I wouldn’t be able to do it
myself – I cannot stand the sight of blood!
In my country there are many hospitals, both state-run and private. Generally, the standard
of care offered in them is high – there are many top surgeons in Russia and many members
of dedicated staff.
As for medical services, I strongly believe that vital (жизненно важный) medical services should be free because not everyone can afford healthcare. There are so many poor people that can pay for extra treatments and expensive medicine.
On the other hand, medical services are not cheap and eventually someone has to pay.